Monday, February 13, 2012

How to Make a Photo Prop Floor

I found a box of flooring at my Habitat for Humanity Restore for a very nice price.  It was the snap together kind.  I snapped it up- actually it took a few grunts and groans to get it into the cart- that stuff is heavy!  I brought it home and snapped my tiny photo prop floor together and took a few photos.  I think I mentioned this before and you can see the floor below-


What I realized was that I would like to have a rustic white floor, too.  Yet, I didn't want to give up my "wooden" floor- so, I just flipped.  Yep, I took the floor apart, flipped over each plank, and painted the back white.  Now, I can use the "wood" side or flip over the planks and use the "white" side as needed (they slide together either way).  I guess this is an obvious solution- but it took me awhile to come up with it!  Here is a shot of my rustic white photo prop floor:



To paint the flooring I cleaned the plank backs with TSP.  Then I painted on a coat of primer.  Then I added a coat of eggshell finish white paint and I topped it all with a layer of brown antiquing wax.


This floor isn't perfect.  When I have kids on it, they wiggle and the flooring begins to slip apart.  But it is easily snapped back together.  Of course when photographing infants you don't have this problem.  To store the floor between photography sessions it is easy stack the individual planks- so they don't take up tons of room.

All in all I'm very pleased- two floors for $15!
signature

Pin It!

2 comments:

Rissa said...

That looks great and I love the fabric you have.

J. Paige said...

Thanks! Have you been taking some pictures?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...