Thursday, April 23, 2009

Kid's Art Necklace


I'm sure you have seen the cute necklaces that are made with scrabble tiles. Well, this is a slightly different version using your child's art (my talented niece Regan drew the above pendant). Have your child draw you a picture. Then scan it into your computer and reduce it's size and crop as needed.


Next use those precut wooden pieces that are three dollars a bag in the wood section of your local craft store. You can get any shape, circles, squares, etc. Paint the piece of wood with the color of your choice.


Then cut your picture to fit the wooden shape.


Mod Podge the picture to the wood.



Let that dry completely. Then add dimensional glaze. I've heard many people say that they LOVE diamond glaze, but I didn't have that so I used my scrap booking glaze. After that dries for 24 hours use a tiny drill bit, also in the wood section of your craft store, and just gently twist the bit with your hands to drill a tiny hole. Put a jump ring through that tiny hole and your art work pendant is complete.

To make a necklace add the art work pendant and one or two charms to a pretty chain and you're ready to wrap it up for mom or grandma!

4/20/10   I've added a two more posts about similar ideas  making charms and keychains here and here.

Pin It!

7 comments:

Rissa said...

Good job Mom! You have gotten so crafty

Amber said...

I bet kids would feel so special to see their loved ones wear their art. What a cute way for them to share their work somewhere besides the fridge.

Mommyof2 said...

what a fantastic idea!!! I love this. I just had a drawing down of my kids at their school carnival. It would be perfect on a pendant. Thanks for sharing.

J. Paige said...

I'm glad that you like it- thanks for stopping by!

Penny said...

Oh I just adore this!! I have looked at instructions for similar tile necklaces, but you make it look so much simpler, and the children's art is a fantastic idea. My mom will love it. We will be making these tomorrow for Mother's Day. Thanks so much for the idea!

Valerie said...

Thanks for posting the instructions!! I love it. That is on my list of crafts to do in May.

Joyce, Bead Bee said...

Kids love things that are uniquely their own! Yes - diamond glaze is great - I had my nieces draw little pictures and use rubber stamps to create designs that fit into picture frame charms and used diamond glaze to seal them in.
Joyce /a>

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...