Monday, November 16, 2009

How to Make Flocked Christmas Ornaments


I saw some unique and super cool flocked Christmas ornaments while web surfing. I'm not sure of the store but if I remember right they were about $20 -too much for me. When it comes to retail prices just call me Ebeneezer!

Seriously, these are are so EASY to make- really, really, easy peasy.

You will need Aleene's quick tacky glue, glass ornaments, Avery sticker paper, and scrapbooking doodlebug design flocking (print yourself a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby's website for this purchase- they offer one almost every week!).



Step 1: Make flocked stickers: Cut out your desired sticker shape from the Avery sticker paper.



Step 2: Brush the paper side evenly with tacky glue, sprinkle on flocking. Or put the flocking on a piece of waxed paper and press your gluey sticker into the flocking. Let dry.


Step 3: There will be some white parts still showing. Take a stiff paint brush and dip it into glue then gently pounce/bounce (like you're stencilling) it onto the white areas- dip into flocking again. Let dry and repeat if needed. Don't 'paint' on the second layer of glue or it will smear off the flocking that is already on.

Step 4: When these are truly dry (at least 2 hours) gently peel off the sticker backing and firmly press into place on your ornament. Repeat.



TA-DAH! All done!


Learn from my experimentation: Use a good glue like Aleene's. Don't press the sticky side of the sticker paper into the flocking, because when you try to glue the tiny sticker onto the ornament you will spend forever holding it in place and waiting for it to dry.

Pin It!

3 comments:

Brian Carpenter said...

I absolutely love these! It even sounds like something I might be able to tackle. :)
Hugs,
Jennifer

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

My daughter has an apartment with 2 other young girls...I can just picture these on a tinsel tree! Cute and contemporary-or not!
~Nancy

Roeshel said...

So cool! I always wondered how the flocking worked out/looked. Gorgeous! I'm late - but thank you so much for adding your creativity to the DIY holiday party! :)

Have a great rest of the week!
Roeshel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...