Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Reading


We've been going to the library every Monday morning this summer. Here are two books that I have really enjoyed (you can get them both at Amazon):

Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Children From Birth to Seven
I heard about this book on the Salt and Chocolate Blog. This is a book about the Waldorf method of raising & teaching children. I didn't agree with everything in the book but there were so many wonderful ideas that I love that it is definitely worth reading. One idea was to set up a nature shelf where children can display the treasures they have found on their outdoor excursions. There are a bunch of ideas to encourage imaginative play. There were a few general references to a religion associated with the Waldorf method that differ from my beliefs, but it was interesting to see another point of view.


Creative Family by Amanda Soule. This book is FILLED with ways to make daily creativity happen in your home. She talks about everything from setting up a "studio" to creative ways to display the art. Her ideas are simple and affordable... not the overwhelming- I can't believe how far I fall short as a parent-variety.

Both books have wonderful ideas about nurturing children. I highly recommend checking them out.

Pin It!

1 comment:

Rissa said...

I need little people. Maybe Mindy or Tressa will let me babysit

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...